For decades, P&G has studied consumer habits and practices in order to design and commercialize everyday products that not only meet their needs, but really delight consumers. P&G wants to transform consumer research with Universal Design to make products usable and accessible to all people, regardless of age, disability, or other factors. Universal Design has 7 key principles such as equitable use, flexible in use, simple and intuitive use, perceptible information,
tolerance for error, low physical effort, and size & space for approach and use. Through the use of advanced technologies, further insight may be gained to identify challenges people have using our products for tasks in their homes in order to achieve Universal Design.
To achieve Universal Design of our products, P&G covets privacy preserving research methods that are capable of measuring actual behavior of product use within actual use environments, inclusive of consumers’ homes. To do this a new generation of cost-effective qualitative & quantitative research tools must be developed. Capturing and processing of measured data is critical to research learning. To address this grand challenge, advanced methods
combining passive listening (sensors, audio, visual), edge computing with embedded AI development, and communication network technologies need to be integrated to limit data for transfer to the cloud and most importantly preserve privacy.
Relevant technology and/or solutions
• Cost-effective and deployable Internet of Things technology that is easy to install and operate in many global households working with our P&G consumer insights research team.
• Privacy preserving encoded features that allow for AI algorithm development to decode consumer behavior with everyday products in home environments (e.g., home audio features that are filtered for human conversation).
• Simulation environment to test the platform in a variety of realistic acoustic environments that mimic variation observed in various rooms and geographies.
• Multi-modal data including sensors, audio, and privacy preserving video are of interest.
• Open innovation of these technologies for research are needed.
• A willingness to partner with our internal P&G scientists for application.
Out of scope?
• Platforms that represent a singular end-to-end closed solution.
• Handing over personal private data and development for a working solution.
If you have a solution to partner with us, please submit a summary of your solution, approach and/or technologies that can enable the “Transforming Consumer Insights Research” via our open innovation portal in section www.pgconnectdevelop.com/needs/lifelab/
Please indicate how you would propose pilot testing your solution. All ideas and submissions will be fully reviewed. Please note that only non-confidential information can be accepted for review. We look forward to partnering with you.